The Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Your Ideal Audience on LinkedIn
By now, you know that interacting with relevant accounts is crucial to building an engaged and warm audience.
Resulting in generating those juicy DMs in your inbox.
In the past, we’ve talked about finding your ICP, short for Ideal Client Profile.
This is great, but, it leaves out a crucial element…
That’s why I want to introduce a broader concept:
ICA, short for Ideal Client Audience
- Peers and competitors
- Ideal clients and prospects
- Industry leaders and influencers
Depending on the phase you’re in (audience-building, authority-building, or lead-generating) you adjust the weight of each group you engage with.
- 20% of your engagement efforts are with Peers and Competitors.
- 50% of your engagement efforts are with Ideal clients and prospects.
- 30% of your engagement efforts are with Industry leaders and influencers.
I found that using a simple technique works best to skip the distraction of the LinkedIn feed and straight to the content of the creators:
AKA the Bookmarking Technique:
- Head to the Profile of the person you want to add to your list
- Click “Show all activity →”
- Select “Posts”
- Bookmark that page in a folder in your browser
Now you know who you should put on your list.
But, knowing that LinkedIn houses 900 million users, how the fuck are we finding our ideal audience?
That's where the search function of LinkedIn comes into play.
Under-used by many.
Such a shame...
To locate these people on LinkedIn, you use the Advanced Search feature:
Let’s take a look at “founder” - one of the most sought-after clients on LinkedIn.
We start easy:
- Type in “founder” in the search bar
- Press “enter”
- Select “people”
This only gives a "little" problem..
No one got time to browse through nearly 10 million hits.
That’s why we wanna get specific.
Let's say based on my ICP research and preferences, I choose the following selection:
The following happens:
We’re getting somewhere…
I went from nearly 10 million options to less than 400 people.
That means we filtered out 99.996% of unqualified people…..
Can we get more specific?
Let’s introduce a “hack” that not many people know of AND use…
Go back to "All filters".
And, head to “Connections of”..
Think of someone you’re connected with and someone who you view as an authority figure in his or her niche.
The thought process here is as follows:
If this authority figure is connected with the people I’m looking for, I can “trust” they are of quality.
Still following me?
Let’s see how this goes…
How crazy is that?
We went from 10 million users to just 1.
Hyper-specific based on the criteria we used.
Will this always work?
Is it worth experimenting?
One more checklist to summarize it all…
- Do I know who I look for?
- Have I run multiple different searches?
- Did I find relevant people to follow or connect with?
- Did I connect with them?
- Did I convert their characteristics into LI language?
That's it for this week.
Hope it was helpful.
If so, don't hesitate to drop a note about how this helped you to upgrade your LinkedIn Game.
Stay awesome, and keep creating.
We chat next week.
Also: when you're ready, here are five ways I can help you...
- Generate more leads through LinkedIn.
Unlock the FREE 3-Day Content Conversion Challenge. Click here.
- Upgrade your content game.
Download the FREE Content Management System. Click here.
- Grow a valuable network on LinkedIn.
Get access to the 5-step strategy. Click here.
- Understand LinkedIn in less than 3 hours
Unlock the video course. Click here.
- Generate inbound leads through LinkedIn.
Message me on LinkedIn. Click here.